University of Melbourne Archives

Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
Creator:
Melbourne City Mission
History : In the context of the goldrush social disruption, the MCM was founded in 1855, with impetus from the philanthropist Dr John Singleton and from Mrs Hornbrook's Ladies' City Mission. With the motto "Need not Creed", it is governed by a committee comprising Church, business and professional people, and describes itself as 'an inter- denominational (or unsectarian, but Christian) Institute ... operating amongst the poor outside the Churches'. In 1900 it became obvious that the Melbourne City Mission could render much more effective service to the community if it could establish homes suited to the needs of various types of people contacted by visitation. Subsequently the Brunswick Pre- Maternity Home, Toddler's Home, The Haven of Hope (1926-1954), Swinborn Lodge, Elizabeth Fry Retreat, Pilgrim's Rest and Judge Book Memorial Village were established.
Activities/Occupation: Welfare organisations
Back | View creator's records