||John Monash commenced working on railway, road and bridge and water supply constructions in 1884. He supervised the building of the Outer Circle Railway for Graham and Wadick between 1888 and late 1891. He then became assistant engineer to the Melbourne Harbour Trust, but was dismissed during retrenchment in May 1894. He practised as a civil engineer from 1895 in partnership with J.T.N. Anderson, and in 1900 was responsible for the introduction of reinforced concrete construction in Victoria, and formed the Reinforced Concrete and Monier Pipe Company. The company increased its activities introducing many bridges, water-tanks and buildings of this type of construction, in S.A. and also Tasmania. By the 1920's several large blocks of city offices in this material were being constructed in Melbourne and Adelaide. In 1950 the Monier Timber and Trading Company began operations centred at 9 King Street, Oakleigh, with the Reinforced Concrete and Monier Pipe Company Pty. Ltd.