||Previous Control Number: UA4 When the University of Melbourne was formed by an Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1853 the positions of Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor were respectively filled pro tem. by Mr. Justice Redmond Barry and Hugh C. E. Childers until the first University Council elected them to these positions by ballot in May 1853. Despite several attempts to make the position of Vice-Chancellor the salaried chief executive officer of the University, it remained an honorary position from its commencement until 1933. The University Act of 1933 enabled the Council to appoint a salaried Vice-Chancellor and endow him with powers defined within the University's statutes. Statutes authorised him to exercise superintendence of the University's educational and administrative affairs and for discipline of students and staff. The former office of Vice-Chancellor became that of Deputy Chancellor. The first Vice- Chancellor thus appointed was Dr. Raymond Priestley who took up the position at the beginning of 1935. Successive Vice-Chancellors were: H.C.E. Childers, 1853; W.C. Haines, 1857; Anthony Brownless, 1858; Martin Howy Irving, 1887; Henry Wrixon, 1897; John Henry MacFarland, 1910; John Grice, 1918; John Monash, 1923; James Barrett, 1931; Raymond Priestley, 1934; John Medley, 1938; George Paton, 1951; David Derham, 1968; David Caro, 1982; David Penington, 1988.
||Academics - Law, Vice-chancellors, University administration