Technical Teacher's College
The Technical Teachers' College was initially established in 1951 as the Technical Teachers' Training Centre at the Radio School of the Royal Melbourne Technical College and in 1952 the first training courses for student technical teachers were held, with Alan Blackman as supervisor. Students obtained the Trained Technical Teachers' Certificate (TTTC) and - for students who had completed an apprenticeship and worked in a trade for 5 years - could complete a Trained Trade Instructors' Certificate (TTIC). In 1954, the Victorian Education Department granted the Training Centre the status of a teachers' college and the first Principal, Alan Blackman, was appointed in April 1955. In September 1957, the Technical Teachers' College moved to Glenbervie Road, Toorak and towards the end of 1966, another building in Lansell Road, Toorak was made available to the College. As the College expanded, an alternative site at 442 Auburn Road Hawthorn was purchased and the first purpose built technical teachers' college in Australia was opened in November 1970. In 1973 it became the State College of Victoria at Hawthorn. In 1982 it the State College of Victoria at Hawthorn became the Hawthorn Institute of Education, which affiliated with the University of Melbourne in 1991 and later amalgamated with it in 1996.