University of Melbourne Archives

Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
Creator:
University Of Melbourne. International House
History : This Hall of Residence was founded to encourage international understanding and friendship amongst students in residence. It was established with the support of the University Council and the assistance of the State Government, which in 1951 passed the amending Act necessary to allow the University to provide accommodation for students. An Appeal was launched in June 1952 and the first residential (Clunies Ross) wing and central block built in 1956. Intended to house equal numbers of overseas and Australian students, it opened in 1957 with 42 students. Half the members were to be from overseas, half from Australia, and both men and women might enter. A University institution, its Council is appointed by the University Council. The idea for its establishment "was conceived by both members of the University staff and by the student body when overseas students were coming to Melbourne in increasing numbers after the end of the second world war." (University of Melbourne Calendar, 1958, p.730)
Activities/Occupation: University colleges
Back | View creator's records