||Previous Control no. UA17 Law was taught from 1857 at the University of Melbourne, then offering a Practising Certificate at the end of a two-year course. From 1861 this, as the Articled Clerks' course, was extended to four years, and ran concurrently with the new LL.B. four-year course in which Arts subjects formed a large component. The Faculty of Law (the University's first), was established in 1873, with Dr. W.E. Hearn (formerly Professor of Modern History and Literature, Political Economy and Logic who had also acted as Professor of Classics and Professor of Classical and Comparative Philology) as its Dean. The first to bear the title of Professor of Law, and the second Dean, was Edward Jenks.