||The Victorian Trained Nurses' Association (VTNA) was formed in 1901 in Melbourne by doctors, nurses and hospital administrators in order to supervise the training, examination and registration of nurses. In 1904 the VTNA took the Royal prefix and was known as the RVTNA. In 1921 a rival body was formed called the Trained Nurses' Guild which believed the RVTNA neglected the economic aspect of a nurse's existence. In 1924 the RVTNA joined with nursing organisations in other states to form the Australian Nursing Federation. In 1934 the RVTNA reorganised itself to become the Royal Victorian College of Nursing (RVCN), this change being made in order to assume a greater role in the further (postgraduate) training of nurses. Thus the College concerned itself with educational matters, while industrial issues were handed by a separate organisation, the Trained Nurses Guild. Between 1970 and 1972 the dichotomy in nursing organisations ended with the amalgamation of RANF and ANFES, and consequently the amalgamation of their various State branches.