||The College was built, by resolution of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria, to serve as a college of residence for students attending the University, and as a theological hall for the training of candidates for the ministry. Bearing the name of its chief benefactor, Francis Ormond, it opened to students in 1881. From 1885, women were among the non-resident students taking advantage of the tutorials offered by the College, and in 1973 were admitted as residents. Alexander Morrison was the Chairman of the Founding Committee and first Chairman of Ormond College. H.W. "Barney" Allen was a Classics Tutor from 1903 to 1944 and Vice-Master of the College.