||The Melbourne University Union was established in 1884 on the instigation of John Monash. Its objectives were to promote the common interests of students, provide means for practice in writing and speaking and to provide a meeting place for all members of the University, including, to a lesser extent, staff and graduates. After years of makeshift accomodation, a Union House was achieved chiefly through the efforts of Raymond Priestley, Vice-Chancellor in 1937. By the 1950s the Union was no longer meeting the needs of its three user groups. In 1952 staff retreated to their own club, University House, and the Graduate Union was constituted as a separate entity and eventually set up Graduate House in Leicester Street in 1962. The Union became a centre for student life and activity only. By 1965 the Union building had become inadequate and most of the remnants of the old Museum building were demolished to allow for expansion. In 1989 the Union merged with the Melbourne College of Advanced Education Student Association and the Melbourne University Students' Representative Council to become the Melbourne University Student Union Inc.
||University Union, Student union