University of Melbourne Archives

Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
Creator:
University Of Melbourne. Faculty Of Architecture And Building. Executive Committee
History : The School of Architecture dates from the appointment of Anketell Henderson in 1911; in 1923 a Board of Studies was constituted, and the School was administered under the Faculty of Engineering, the principal board members being J. S. Gawler (also University Architect) and Prof. Payne (Engineering). A Faculty of Architecture was established in 1931 chaired by a succession of Deans from other faculties until a Chair was created in 1947, when Prof. Brian Lewis became Dean. In May 1968 the new School of Architecture and Building was officially opened, from which time the Faculty became officially that of Architecture and Building. In 1975 the Department of Town and Regional Planning was absorbed, and it was known as the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Town and Regional Planning until 1979, when it reverted to Faculty of Architecture, but it was renamed as the Faculty of Architecture and Planning in 1981.
Activities/Occupation: University committee
Back | View creator's records