University of Melbourne Archives

Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
Creator:
University Of Melbourne. International House Council
History : Founded to encourage international understanding and friendship among students in residence there, the first resident wing and central block of public rooms was built in 1956 and the House opened early in 1957. Half the members were to be from overseas, half from Australia, and both men and women might enter. A University institution, its Council is appointed by the University Council. The idea for its establishment "was conceived by both members of the University staff and by the student body when overseas students were coming to Melbourne in increasing numbers after the end of the second world war." (University of Melbourne Calendar, 1958, p.730)
Activities/Occupation: University colleges
Back | View creator's records