||The Staff Architect's Branch was one of four branches within the Buildings Department under the direction of the Vice-Principal responsible for superintendance of finance and property of the University. The first Staff Architect was Rae Featherstone, a student of Architecture and Building at the West Melbourne Technical College, Swinburne Technical College, and the University of Melbourne Atelier. In 1930 he obtained a Diploma of Architectural Design. He practised with various firms in Australia and overseas, becoming a part-demonstrator in Architectural Design at the University in 1939. After working on military hospitals during the Second World War, in 1946 he became Lecturer in Charge of Condensed Courses in Architectural Design for ex-servicemen, and in 1947 Senior Lecturer to Architectural Students at the University of Melbourne Mildura Branch. After further study and travel he became Acting Professor of Architecture for a year in 1954, and in November 1957 became Staff Architect while Honorary Senior Lecturer. He retired in 1972.