||G.B. Leith established his architectural practice at 408 Collins Street, Melbourne in 1890. The practice lapsed during World War One and was revived in 1918 as G.B. & G. Burridge Leith. By 1930 the firm was known as A.C. Leith and had taken over Haddon & Henderson, a practice that had existed since the late 1800s. The present firm was formed in 1936 when A.C. Leith joined in partnership with Harold E. Bartlett, and the firm name changed to A.C. Leith & Bartlett, Architects and Engineers. Bartlett had graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Diploma in Architectural Design. The Housing Commission, Victoria (HCV) was constituted on 1 March 1938 and had a panel of four. The panel system's aim was to ensure community the variety of the advice and assistance of professional men in private practice. In 1941, A.C. Leith went away on active service and Harold Bartlett took over his partners' place on the panel, a position which he retained until 1943 when Leith returned to Melbourne. Bartlett served as HCV Chairman in that year and again in 1956.