University of Melbourne Archives

University of Melbourne Archives is implementing a new public catalogue at that will be available from 20 November 2023. This catalogue will remain online until June 2024 but will not be updated. Information on this page may be superseded. Contact for questions or assistance
Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
University Of Melbourne. Faculty Of Economics And Commerce
History : Previous Control Number: UA302 The Faculty of Commerce, for "teaching and conducting research into science, and conducting tutorial, corresponding and extension classes", came into being under the provisions of the University Act of 1923 (Section 28). The first meeting of the Faculty of Commerce was held on the 18th of December 1924. In the three months preceding this meeting, a committee of the members designate of the proposed Faculty met frequently to decide on the length and content of the proposed courses, subjects and lectures. The minutes of these meeting are alongside those of the later-formed Faculty. Professor C.S. Soper was Convenor and prime-mover of the Faculty Sub-Committee on the purpose of the Commerce degree. With 300 students in its first year (1925), it soon became one of the most influential in the Australian universities, exerting directly and indirectly a strong influence on Australian economic policy during and after the depression. By 1956 it included six Departments - Accountancy, Commerce, Economics, Economic History, Economic Research and Industrial Relations. At time of the creation of a Teaching Chair of Economics in December 1966, a department of Economic History was established. This led to the change of name of the Faculty to the Faculty of Economics and Commerce. As at 1997, the Faculty of Economics and Commerce administers the departments of Accounting and Finance, Economics, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research (founded in 1962), Business Development and Corporate History, Management and Industrial Relations and the Centre for Actuarial Studies. The Faculty changed its name from the Faculty of Economics and Commerce to the Faculty of Business and Economics in January 2010.
Activities/Occupation: University faculties, University Department
Back | View creator's records