||The Tin Alley Players - the Melbourne University Graduates' Dramatic Club - was inaugurated at a meeting called at the initiative of Colin McAlpine, Keith Macartney, L. Thomas and Cynthia Sutton on 9 November, 1939. Assoc. Prof. M.H. Belz was elected President (later Business Manager). In December the general meeting included the reading of Eugene O'Neill's "Anna Christie", thus instituting the very popular monthly play- readings which were to stimulate interest of members and the public between plays staged in the Union Theatre and further the objectives of furthering "the study and appreciation of drama .... and generally to promote the welfare of theatre in theatre in the University". By 1978 the club was in decline and wound up in 1981.
||Clubs, social and cultural