University of Melbourne Archives

University of Melbourne Archives is implementing a new public catalogue at that will be available from 20 November 2023. This catalogue will remain online until June 2024 but will not be updated. Information on this page may be superseded. Contact for questions or assistance
Home | Search Collections | Browse Collections | Search Digitised Items | Help
Catalogue Entries
Records Creators
Back | View creator's records
Bates, Smart and McCutcheon Pty Ltd
History : One of Melbourne's leading architecture practices, the firm has designed many of Victoria's most prominent buildings. It was established by Joseph Reed, who emmigrated from England in July 1853. After executing some important commissions, Reed went into partnership with Frederick Barnes in 1862. In 1883 Anketell M. Henderson and F.J. Smart, former employees of Reed and Barnes who had left to set up their own practice, rejoined the firm as partners. In 1890 Henderson left the partnership which was joined in April by W.B. Tappin. Reed died in 1890 and Tappin in 1905. F.J. Smart, now the head of the firm, died two years later and N.G. Peebles, head draughtsman, became a partner with C.P. Smart (son of F.J.). E.A. Bates, who had been trained with the firm and entered into practice with R.G. Hyndman, rejoined Bates, Peebles and Smart to proceed with work on the new Reading Room of the Public Library. In 1922 Peebles died; and in 1936 Bates and Smart were joined by W.O. McCutcheon. The firm has been known by the following names: Joseph Reed (1852-1862); Reed & Barnes (1862-1883); Reed, Henderson & Smart (1883-1890); Reed, Smart & Tappin (1890-1907); Smart, Tappin & Peebles (1907-1916); Bates & Smart (1922-1926); Bates, Peebles & Smart (1916-1922); Bates, Smart & McCutcheon (1926-1995); Bates Smart (from 1996).
Activities/Occupation: Architects
Back | View creator's records